Just caught this linky from Notch’s twitter feed and have been watching it since. WordPress won’t let me embed it, so click away if you are curious on the new goings on!
If you wish to view it, feel free. I’ll be typing up a Cliff’s Notes version with a timestamp so you can see the topic at hand! I’ll be editing the post frequently to keep updating the new info as I type it all out ^_^ Happy viewing!
– – – – – – – – – – – – –
- Right away you’ll be greeted with cheers and “woots!”, but most importantly a brand new title screen with rolling vistas and shinies!
- 2:19 – Something interesting I read the other day was Jeb said old maps wouldn’t work with 1.8, yet I can clearly see a world save that states it is a Survival Mode. Could this just be a fresh save named ‘survival’ to differ with the Classic mode that will also be packed in?
- 2:40ish – Notch makes a new Creative Mode world and begins flying around in search of villages!
- 3:22 – Lava, ho! Looks quite bright, and Notch comments about the new bigger and unique-looking biome code that is in 1.8. Hilly vs desert will look more hilly and more deserty, respectively. Still looking for a village.
- 3:37 Found a village! Took two worlds but it was a successful operation ^_^ Notch comments that the NPC villages will usually spawn near your first spawn point to make things easier, as trading and all that will play a part in 1.8 and on. Can’t trade with people you can’t find, after all.
- 4:20 – Watermelon – Currently not in the game.
- 4:30 – The water and village code might need a tweak, the place looks trashed and he thankfully doesn’t dwell there long.
- 4:46 – The new and improved Click-to-Charge bow! Looks mighty spiffy in action and makes me harken to the Huntsman from Team Fortress 2 hee hee
- 5:20 – Eating animation is in, and looks awesome! I’m sure someone is going to rip Notch’s “om-nom-nom” ‘s and make a custom ringtone out of it.
- 5:55 – He starts messing with time to show the new ‘no-lag’ lighting effects in game.
- 6:15ish – Mentions skill points and xp. He specifically mentions you cannot yet spend the points, which is a good hint at the upcoming patch. If you have to spend the points, you can pick and choose (at least in which order) what abilities you want to get. Some games you ding and poof, you have a set ability that is hard-coded to the linear leveling process. Having the option to spend them means you won’t be forced to get what the developers give you. I hope this idea sticks.
- 6:45 – The camera man’s years at college and life’s choices are brought into question when he proceeds to wonder why the feed suddenly grew dark. I’ll be nice and go out on a limb for the poor guy and say it was his closeness to the aura of awesome that encircles Notch that distracted him.
- 7:40 – Notch fires off a few of the new dash attacks.
- 9:49 – Endermen spotted!
- 10:06 – First death. You get a glimpse at just how tall the Endermen are compared to other baddies at least.
- 10:40 – You can see just how far those arrows can fly with the new charging mechanic. Spoiler: Quite far ^_^
- 10:50 – Notch says current worlds will work in 1.8, but it will not have new content. Previous patches required you to run to new areas to spawn the new stuff, but it seems like this will not be the case. The audio quality got a little iffy so I couldn’t make it out perfectly, I could be off.
- 11:38 – Notch shows off the new Creative Mode item list where you can place any item in the world. This will be a welcome addition to people who aren’t huge on adding mods, plus I’ve been needed to tinker with redstone and mining all the components is quite a hassle. As I’d only need to hop on and try out an idea, something like this would be a great help and huge time saver.
- 13:00 – Fish confirmed. School of fish? Silver fish? Tuna fish? Couldn’t quite make it out, but whatever it is, it’s in ^_^
- 13:49 – Massive underground area spotted. Includes a mineshaft with railroad tracks, wooden beams, and cobwebs.
- 15:00 – Notch shows off how seamlessly days and nights now change the landscape. Again, it’s on a beefy PC, but Notch did convert the code to be far less of a drag on servers and RAM and all that.
- 16:20 – In Creative Mode at least, you can destroy bedrock. Notch then shows there is no infinite world below the ‘bottom’ of the world. It is now filled with particles. And death.
- 19:30 – The xp spheres! Look a lot like Scott Pilgrim coins to me. Either way, you kill something and they suck towards ya like in Kingdom Hearts. No use for em yet, still cool though.
- 19:50 – My favorite part of the video so far. An NPC blacksmith! It just looks so cool! XD
- 20:26 – Re-confirmed spendage of xp spheres on specific abilities of your choosing.
- 22:35 A River leading to an ocean. It’s actually pretty big, I thought the river’s would be small, but these are like 6+ blocks across.
- 23:42 – He might add Rainforests, “I think so, yeah. And swamps. I really want swamps.”
- 25:45 – Second death.
- 28:00 – New graphic sliders for brightness and whatnots.
- 29:59 – Gets hit with a weird green thing, poison damage from a skeleton’s arrow, perhaps?
- 32:00 Up-close and personal with Endermen! Apparently they die in water though.
- 32:52 – Shows how different biome generation is taking shape. Just random to look cool while avoiding being too ‘busy’.
- 34:30 – Quite a big pumpkin patch.
- 38:00 – Xperia’s Minecraft in action
- 38:50 – While the movement doesn’t help the quality at all, I think anyone can make out that pink ‘do from a mile away. Minecraft Chick was in attendance!
- 40:00 – Big ol’ NPC village and a huge house or town hall or something.
- 40:15 – The town well! Nice touch, wasn’t expecting to see on of those haha
- 43:00 – Cobalt in action, another game in the works. Looks like a side-scroller shooter with capture the flag elements, at least in the mode showcased.
- 45:00 – Hands-on with Minecraft Pocket Edition.
- 46:25 – Classic Minecraft music chords playing in the background, along with random snarls and damage sounds from other players nearby. Just wanted to give that music a shout out of its own :P
- 48:36 – Minecraft Chick takes a shot of Jakob taking a shot of her. Trippy.
There were also a few Official “Maybe” ‘d items from Notch during his narration, namely Whales, Ships or even larger vehicles, Volcanoes (“Kinda easy to do in the new biome code.”), as well as Rainforest and swamp biomes. I’d like to see alligators or crocs’ in the swamp with hanging moss, but that’s another topic.
No official release date yet set, but it HAS to come out before November 18th or so. So much is already in there, and a few times they mentioned they are likely to release 1.8 then a 1.8.2 or something to fit it all in. They mentioned maybe Nether stuff in 1.9 or later, but adventure and combat specifically had to go in before launch in November. So cross your fingers and don’t hold your breath! Patch 1.8 is right around the corner and I’m guessing sometime in the middle of next month.